Thursday, September 16, 2010

Adding to text fields together in Microsoft Access

I have a very short post for you guys today but it can save you lots of time.  I needed to add a person's last, first, and middle names together in one field for a report.  Each one of these is a separate field in my database.  I accomplished this by creating a query and adding all the appropriate fields that I needed.  Next, I clicked in a blank field in the query designer and added the following line of code. 

Full_Name: [Name_Last] & "" & ", " & "" & [Name_First_MI] & "" & " " & "" & [Name_Middle]


This concatenated all these fields together with a comma and a space after the last name and a space after the first name.   After that it was easy to create the report based on this query.  It looks great and I have adapted this technique to other data types as well. 

I hope this will be useful to you in the future. 

No comments: